Saturday, August 18, 2007

What is hemophobia (blood phobia, hematohobia)



It's review article about hemophobia. It does not have any scientific value.

Defenition


Hemophobia (hematohobia)
- is phobia (persistent and abnormal fear) of blood. People with hemophobia are usual afraid of sight of own blood, rarely they dread other persons' or animals blood.

Causes

It can be caused by fear of injury or death. Also blood phobia can be caused by trauma, injury in adolescence or childhood period.

Treatment

There are some psychological methods to get rid of fear of blood. I'll speak about it next time.

Thank you

4 comments:

marlie said...

Please, please, please remove the picture of blood at the top of the article. I ended up here by googling hemophobia looking for treatment options, as I expect how many others will land here.

Now I'm back to curling up, dizzy and my heart is racing. I'm feeling for the many unsuspecting others suffering from hemophobia who will come here looking for help and find a trigger instead.

Nic said...

I completely agree. My work is making me work a blood drive, and I am hematophobic... I'm trying to find a way to deal with, or quickly get over my phobia (that I've had since I was 12) so I can cope wih this. I was freaked when I saw that photo and got dizzy and nauseated and am having a hard tme breathing. Please get rid of that photo!!!

Ituhr said...

I third that! (Getting rid of the picture, that is.)

This is why I've never googled hemophobia before, for fear that I'd come across pictures like this. I'm sure it's hard to understand for someone who doesn't have this phobia, but even the thought of blood makes me nauseous. I hope I speak for everyone when I say that a picture doesn't help.

the Helpful Nerd said...

So I have to agree that putting a picture of a finger showing blood on a blog about Hemophobia is really stupid. What did you think that was going to do to your readers that want more information about this phobia. I am hemophobic and working on getting a better handle on it. But trying to learn more about it and seeing a picture with blood sucks. Thanks for making me light headed.